Ford Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cali preview for Kvapil, Gilliland and Conway

Go down 
AuthorMessage
eehwkram

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Cali preview for Kvapil, Gilliland and Conway Empty
PostSubject: Cali preview for Kvapil, Gilliland and Conway   Cali preview for Kvapil, Gilliland and Conway EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:50 pm

"I'll be with the 34 car and the 34 team - my home for the rest of the season. I'll be with that car and crew for the rest of the year. So it's going to be a little shuffling around. Kevin (Conway) will be back in the 37, and (David) Gilliland will be in the 38. So things will be back to normal - things were a little bit different for Daytona.

"I'm excited about going to Fontana. It's a track that's always fun to race. With our Ford, Roush/Yates horsepower under the hood, it's going to be good for us on the big, long straight-aways. Hopefully our Fords will handle well, too. I'm just excited about all the changes that are going to be happening. I had a great time in Daytona working with the 37 guys; they've got a good, solid team. But I can't wait to get the team-building and the relationship going with (crew chief) Steven Lane and those guys on the 34.

Full Kvapil preview

"It's agonizing to miss any race, and having missed the Daytona 500 was just plain heartbreaking. But, California is a brand new start for me, and I'm looking forward to what's going to be a good challenge for me. Front Row Motorsports with Yates Racing is one of the fast-growing teams in the garage, and owner Bob Jenkins asked me to race his third car this season.

"He introduced himself to me last year at Homestead and we spoke over the off-season. They were working on things and I was working on some things. Daytona wasn't going to be in the cards for us, but we had the chance to have a team locked into the top-35 for the first five races and I could get in it. It's a great opportunity with this team because it's almost a reunion with Travis (Kvapil) being there, the folks from Ford and working with Doug (co-owner Doug Yates) again. Doug was the person who first called me to race in Cup, so it's a pretty cool deal to come over here. I'm pretty happy with the progress of things since last November.

"We don't have grand illusions of winning a championship this season, but we have goals of being a consistent team running inside the top-25 each week. That's attainable, and it's a lot easier when you are guaranteed in the race. You don't have to worry about a qualifying setup and then playing catch-up the rest of the weekend. We can just go to the track and know we're going to race. That's a big deal. It feels like a bulldozer lifted off my shoulders.

Full Gilliland Preview

IS CALIFORNIA A GOOD TRACK TO MAKE A DEBUT BECAUSE IT'S SO BIG AND WIDE AS OPPOSED TO DARLINGTON OR BRISTOL? "Absolutely. California is definitely more forgiving than a lot of the other places that we could be making our debut at, so it's a great race track. I really love it because there are so many places to race. You can go to the top, you can go to the middle and you can race on the bottom. It seems like for me in the past we've always made the top work really well for us and it's a real racy race track. Sometimes the racing does get a little spread out and single-file, but there's a lot of room to race and if your car is not handling particularly well at one area of the race track, you've got just a ton of room to move around to find a better spot to make sure your car is still turning well throughout the whole day. Often times, California has come down to fuel mileage, so there are a lot of opportunities there. For us to be making our debut in the ExtenZe Ford Fusion at Auto Club Speedway is really exciting because anything can happen. It can come down to fuel mileage, you can put yourself in position to have a really great day, and if your car isn't handling exactly the way you'd like it to, you have a lot of options to move around on the race track."

Full Conway Preview
Back to top Go down

Cali preview for Kvapil, Gilliland and Conway
Page 1 of 1