Ford Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Crew member makes major mis-judgement

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Crew member makes major mis-judgement Empty
PostSubject: Crew member makes major mis-judgement   Crew member makes major mis-judgement EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 8:44 pm

VIDEO --> http://www.nascar.com/video/cup/2009/03/08/cup.atl.high.three.nascar/

Quote :
HAMPTON, Ga. – A quiet and remorseful Jimmy Watts stood outside the NASCAR hauler during the Kobalt Tools 500 to meet with NASCAR officials after he had been suspended for the remainder of the event for running onto the frontstretch grass with the race under green-flag conditions to retrieve a tire from the JTG Daugherty Racing car on lap 67.

Watts, a gas man who also works for the Charlotte Fire Department, said he has been in the sport for more than seven years and just made a mistake. NASCAR threw the caution as he chased the tire.

The tire had rolled on to the frontstretch grass when it got loose from the JTG Daugherty team of driver Marcos Ambrose and was knocked away by the Yates Racing team.

“I saw the tire going away and it was a reaction – the wrong one,” Watts said.

Watts said he “certainly did not” think that the tire would roll that far across the grass and by the time he was in the middle of it, he realized he was in a bad position.

It did make for interesting television.

“It’s not the kind I want to be part of,” Watts said.

Watts said he hoped to be back next week but was waiting to talk to NASCAR officials to see if any additional penalties would be issued.

“Maybe he’s new – maybe he hasn’t seen us drive, but we tend to wreck a lot,” Roush Fenway Racing driver Matt Kenseth said. “I wouldn’t want to be in the middle of that grass.”
~Scene Daily~

What did everyone think about that one? Suspect
Back to top Go down
https://fordfans.forumotion.com
RacingDude

RacingDude

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Crew member makes major mis-judgement   Crew member makes major mis-judgement EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 9:52 pm

You couldn't pay me to do that. It wouldn't have been good at all if a car had been spinning out towards that area at the time! Shocked
Back to top Go down
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Crew member makes major mis-judgement   Crew member makes major mis-judgement EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 12:25 am

The poor guy just wasn't thinking when he ran out to retrieve the tire. I'm sure he just didn't think it would roll out that far.
I'll sure that's a mistake he'll NEVER make again. Sometimes we act with out thinking.
Back to top Go down
cascar_fan

cascar_fan

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Crew member makes major mis-judgement   Crew member makes major mis-judgement EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 11:24 pm

Well, it's easy to make a mistake! I was sign man one time, and I caught myself, just about to go over the pit wall, to help out, when something unexpected happened. Lucky for the team, I caught myself, but I can see how easily it can happen.

I know from experience that the Nascar Officials don't mess around, I wouldn't want to be in that guys shoes afterwards!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rpeer.com
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Crew member makes major mis-judgement   Crew member makes major mis-judgement EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Suspended for four weeks
Quote :
NASCAR announced Tuesday it has suspended JTG Daugherty Racing crew member Jimmy Watts for four races after he ran onto the frontstretch grass at Atlanta Motor Speedway during Sunday’s Kobalt Tools 500 Sprint Cup Series race.

Watts, a gas man for the No. 47 Toyota of driver Marcos Ambrose, was also kicked out of Sunday’s race. A tire had gotten away from the JTG Daugherty pit crew during a green-flag stop, and Watts crossed pit road onto the grass to retrieve it.

NASCAR threw the caution flag for Watts.

Also, NASCAR placed JTG Daugherty crew chief Frank Kerr on probation until Dec. 31 for violating rule 9-4-A: Crew chief assumes responsibility for the actions of the team.

Watts was suspended under rule 9-15-U: Crew members must not go on the race track for any reason while the cars are racing or while the cars are running under the yellow flag or the red flag, unless otherwise directed to do so by a NASCAR official. Watts has also been placed on probation until Dec. 31.
~Scene Daily~

Good call by NASCAR...
Back to top Go down
https://fordfans.forumotion.com
Robyn K.

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Crew member makes major mis-judgement   Crew member makes major mis-judgement EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 2:31 am

Safety comes first,,,so it was a good call by Nascar. IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crew member makes major mis-judgement   Crew member makes major mis-judgement Empty

Back to top Go down

Crew member makes major mis-judgement
Page 1 of 1