Ford Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Paul Menard- The most valuable driver in NASCAR?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Paul Menard- The most valuable driver in NASCAR? Empty
PostSubject: Paul Menard- The most valuable driver in NASCAR?   Paul Menard- The most valuable driver in NASCAR? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:23 am

Quote :
September 29, 5:13 PMAtlanta NASCAR ExaminerJeremy Dunn

It sounds like a silly question does it not. However, in the current state of economic affairs, Paul Menard is a hot commodity for NASCAR owners.

The most recent rumor concerning Paul Menard is that he could end up at Richard Childress Racing, along with his sponsor Menard’s, which is his father’s home improvement chain. Of course, he denied the rumor.

Many will claim that Menard’s sponsor the key to his survival in Sprint Cup. The home improvement chain will follow Paul Menard wherever he decides to go.

Menard entered NASCAR six years ago with Andy Petree on a limited basis, and moved on to DEI in 2005. He showed some promise at DEI in the Busch, now Nationwide Series. He became a top prospect.

At the time, the fact that his sponsor was his father’s company was rarely mentioned because Menard frequently ran near the front. He won a Nationwide Series event at the Milwaukee Mile in June of 2006 in a field that included Cup drivers such as Kevin Harvick, Clint Bowyer, Carl Edwards, and Denny Hamlin. Because he was competitive, there was no need to mention that Menard only had a ride because of his name. He competed in a limited Cup schedule in 2006, and scored a top ten at Atlanta.

The Menards entered the Sprint Cup Series full-time in 2007. Two years and one top five finish later, Menard’s fruitless tenure with DEI came to an end. Menard’s career was far from finished, as DEI attempted to re-sign Menard. A few other teams showed interest in Menard and his sponsor, but he eventually decided to join Yates Racing. In 2008, Yates Racing displayed signs of potential with David Gilliland and Travis Kvapil often overperforming in underfunded cars. Additionally, the affiliation with Roush Fenway Racing was a strong selling point.

Menard has yet to land a top ten finish in 2009, and Yates Racing faces a ton of uncertainty. With the sponsorship issues most teams are facing, you have to believe that the Menard’s sponsorship played a role in Richard Petty Motorsport’s decision to merge with Yates Racing. It is reported that Menard is not thrilled with the merger, and could be searching for a new team for him and his sponsor. Very few teams, if any, would pass up an opportunity to sign a driver who can bring in a major sponsor.

The free agent pool is not as promising as it has been in years past, but based on experience, as well as accomplishments, Bobby Labonte, Jamie McMurray, and even Casey Mears would seem to be more sound choices to fill a vacant seat. Labonte, McMurray, and Mears cannot bring in a guaranteed sponsor, and companies are not exactly swarming into the sport with their checkbooks in hand.

I have nothing against Paul Menard. I want to see him succeed so he can erase the notion that he is only in the sport because of his father’s company. I do not think he lacks talent, as many others would assume. I can recall two or three races this year in which he had a possible top ten slipped away due to an accident or some kind of misfortune. Before you deem Menard unworthy of even sweeping the floors of a race shop, consider that he entered DEI’s Cup program when the company was in utter chaos.

Sure, he currently drives a Roush-prepared car in the Yates Racing stables, but that entire program is off the pace, even the trio of Greg Biffle, Carl Edwards, and Matt Kenseth. Let us try to give Menard the benefit of the doubt.

Unfortunately, he takes some heat because he has the luxury of a guaranteed sponsor with very few credentials. Meanwhile, successful and popular veterans are rushed out of the sport, or to a lower-tier ride, because they cannot attract a sponsor.

Any driver that comes with sponsorship is valuable... duh!!! Rolling Eyes
Nothing new there....the $$$$'s speak more then performance. Of course he has a ride for a long time.
I have nothing against him. He's just never been a driver that caught my attention. I hope he's having the time of his life. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RacingDude

RacingDude

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Paul Menard- The most valuable driver in NASCAR?   Paul Menard- The most valuable driver in NASCAR? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Considering I started watching NASCAR when you had to earn your ride, I'm not a big fan of Paul's. Paul Menard- The most valuable driver in NASCAR? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Dog

Number of posts : 808
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Paul Menard- The most valuable driver in NASCAR?   Paul Menard- The most valuable driver in NASCAR? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:06 am

how sickening that he's among the most wanted
Back to top Go down
http://www.faithfreaks.com/Dog
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paul Menard- The most valuable driver in NASCAR?   Paul Menard- The most valuable driver in NASCAR? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1