Ford Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2009-01-16

NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings Empty
PostSubject: NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings   NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings EmptyThu May 14, 2009 1:50 am

Quote :
NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings: A double-digit decline in ratings for NASCAR on Fox has officials researching why the audience is shrinking and what, if anything, can be done to reverse the trend. Through the season’s first 10 races, Nielsen ratings on Fox are down 11.5 percent and viewership is down 10.8 percent from 2008 numbers, which don’t include a 2008 rainout. Ratings for each of the last seven Sprint Cup races going into last week’s event at Darlington were down by double digits. Fox’s average rating for the season was a 5.4 with 8.9 million viewers prior to Sunday’s race at Darlington, compared with averages of 6.1 and 10 million for 2008. “As you look at the current snapshot, it’s been a challenging year,” said Paul Brooks, president of NASCAR Media Group. “That being said, we’re still the No. 1 sport on television six of the last nine weeks. Our position in the sports and entertainment landscape is strong. The biggest impact is with our TV partners and their commercial sales. We’re mindful of that. The flip side is that we hear great things, that it’s not a NASCAR issue. It’s a broader economy and advertising issue.” Brooks said NASCAR and Fox are looking at every angle, from the lack of compelling story lines on the track to the spacing and timing of commercial breaks. Broadcasters have traditionally gone to commercial during pit stops, but Brooks said that NASCAR fans want to see the pit stops.(see full article at the Sports Business Journal)(5-13-2009)

My viewing has dropped considerably. I used to watch just about anything and everything. Now I hardly watch any of the practices and usually only catch part of qualifying. I've stopped watching Nationwide and only watch the Truck races that Kyle's not in. I usually skip the pre and post-race show/interviews. The talk is usually with or about the same drivers. BORING Sad

I'm not sure who to put the blame on. I guess NASCAR and Fox. I can do without some of the Fox announcers. Some of the really butcher the English language (like LM & DW). They need to go to announcers school. Wink I find myself being more drawn to other racing series where they don't have "phantom" cautions, No "pity wins, and stick to the rules not favoring specific drivers/teams. ~JMO
Back to top Go down
RacingDude

RacingDude

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings   NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings EmptyThu May 14, 2009 2:39 pm

If they think ratings are dropping now, wait until the time comes where ESPN starts covering the races again...

I can think of two broadcasters over there that need to be on their way out the door, and they are Jerry Punch and Rusty Wallace. Jerry was better as a pit reporter, and Rusty is just a horrible broadcaster. He focuses too much on himself at times when he should be talking about the race.
Back to top Go down
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings   NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings EmptyFri May 15, 2009 12:08 am

When Rusty talks it's like nails on a blackboard. affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings   NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings Empty

Back to top Go down

NASCAR Looking into decline in TV Ratings
Page 1 of 1