Ford Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates

Go down 
+2
Hihey9989
TeamBlueOval
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates Empty
PostSubject: Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates   Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 8:25 am

Quote :
David Gilliland appears to be the odd man out at Yates Racing, where the team says it will field three cars following its new partnership agreement with Hall of Fame Racing.

Along with Paul Menard’s No. 98 and Bobby Labonte’s No. 96, Travis Kvapil’s No. 28 team is expected to remain while Gilliland and the No. 38 appear to be out.

“I just heard of the thing today, from the Internet, so that’s what I assume,” Gilliland said Wednesday afternoon. “I haven’t actually had a sit-down with them, but I’m still under contract with them through 2009. So we’re just going to have to work through it, and hopefully, we can get something else going.”

Gilliland said he’s sorting through the contract and seeing what he’s able to do and what the next step could be, but he understands that the current economic climate makes it tough.

He was “a little bit” shocked that he is now likely without a ride just a few weeks before the Daytona 500 and the start of the new Sprint Cup season.

“It’s just kind of a bummer that it’s this late in the [offseason], you know?” he said. “We’ll just have to see what we can come up with and see what we can try and do.”

Gilliland praised Yates as a “great organization that has been very good to me,” adding he hoped some of the sponsorship opportunities would still come through to allow him to remain with the team.

“That’s the main focus right now is just trying to put something together,” he said. “It’s a tough time right now with the economy and everything else.”

Gilliland burst onto the national scene in June 2006, when he stunned the racing world by driving an unsponsored part-time car to victory lane during a race at Kentucky in what is now known as the Nationwide Series.

Cup team owners immediately began expressing their interest, and he signed with Yates to replace the departed Elliott Sadler in the M&Ms-sponsored No. 38 car two months later.

He captured a pole at Talladega that year and then opened 2007 by winning the pole for the Daytona 500 and sparking optimism that Yates could return to prominence.

But aside from one top-five finish and one other top-10, Gilliland struggled along with teammate Ricky Rudd (who had just one top-10), and he finished 28th in points.

Last season, he finished a career-high second place on the road course at Sonoma but again had similar results the remainder of the season as the entire team failed to put together consistent results, leaving him with a 27th-place points finish (teammate Kvapil was 23rd).
~Scene Daily~
Back to top Go down
https://fordfans.forumotion.com
Hihey9989

Hihey9989

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates   Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Well, looks like we were right, Gilliland's getting canned.
Back to top Go down
http://cbowyerfan.proboards85.com
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates   Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 1:49 am

Poor David..... but I guess I'm not too surprised.
Back to top Go down
roosterrage

roosterrage

Number of posts : 481

PostSubject: Re: Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates   Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 1:59 am

Not looking good for Travis either. No sponsors again, and I'm not holding my breath. Looks like it could just be Menard and Labonte this year.
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates   Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 8:53 am

If Fenway can find some part-time sponsors for TK, I think they'll still field the 28, even if has to go unsponsored in a few races.
Back to top Go down
https://fordfans.forumotion.com
Dog

Number of posts : 808

PostSubject: Re: Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates   Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 12:58 am

I sure hope TK can keep his ride, but how long will they go w/o sponsors after last year

As for gilly.... I hope he assumes right
Back to top Go down
http://www.faithfreaks.com/Dog
RacingDude

RacingDude

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates   Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 4:25 pm

I hope this is the case for Gilliland. He hasn't done much in that 38 car, and Travis' performance in the 28 just makes him look bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates   Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates Empty

Back to top Go down

Gilliland assumes he's out at Yates
Page 1 of 1