Ford Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Who really came up with the no bumping rule?

Go down 
+3
DeeDee
Merri
TeamBlueOval
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Who really came up with the no bumping rule? Empty
PostSubject: Who really came up with the no bumping rule?   Who really came up with the no bumping rule? EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 7:20 pm

It was JEFF GORDON.

Quote :

FORT WORTH, Texas - So what provoked Denny Hamlin to tweet "Jeff G (Gordon) told NASCAR we shouldn't be bump drafting ... Cuz they never did in the past. Who's running this sport?"

Before driver introductions for Sunday's Dickies 500, Hamlin questioned Gordon's motives.

Although Hamlin has tremendous respect for the four-time champion, he wonders whether Gordon lobbied NASCAR for the safety of all the competitors or because he couldn't get the No. 24 to perform the bump drafting to his liking?

"It's just frustrating that a driver has enough power to change how the whole field has to run," Hamlin said. "I think it should be a little broader group. I think it was a knee-jerk reaction by NASCAR wanting to please Jeff.

"Here's the thing, Jeff made comments earlier to me that his car wouldn't push very well. Of course, he wanted to get rid of that rule because it took away some of the advantage that the other guys had. Jeff, at times, looks out for himself. But I know he has the best interest of the sport at hand."

Hamlin is in his fourth full season in the Sprint Cup Series. Although he's a long way from reaching Gordon's stature, Hamlin's visibility has grown by qualifying for the Chase each of those four years and accumulating seven wins in 148 starts.

And with Hamlin turning 29 this month, the senior driver at Joe Gibbs Racing would like to take more of an authoritative role in the sport. Hamlin also lobbied for NASCAR to make more decisions by committee — or at least hearing from a wide variety of voices before a suggestion becomes an edict.

Jeff Gordon was not available for comment prior to Sunday's race but on Friday, he admitted that he approached the sanctioning body to address the perils of bump drafting.

Gordon added, "The open-door policy has its benefits" and "the biggest thing" he's seen since coming to the sport "was having the large group of drivers coming together in one room.

"If you really want to get something done, that's how you get it done, behind closed doors with that group. I think it's great they're reaching out. I think the more they can do with that, the better.

"The drivers feel like they're a part of the sport, what's going on, decisions that are being made. Just giving our input I think can help them make better decisions. So I'm all for it."

Yet for whatever reason, Hamlin doesn't feel that he's part of that clique. However, that's not going to stop the driver from voicing his opinion.

"I know it's an open-door policy," Hamlin said. "But myself, I've never been invited to any kind of private meeting or whatever that I've heard has happened. I'd like to think that I'll be in this sport for the next 15 or 20 years so they might want my opinion. I plan on being around here for a long time.

"I'm going to say what I think, regardless, through Twitter or whatever. I'm going to let people know my opinion. If NASCAR asks me, I'll tell them I think they made a mistake with that rule. I'll tell them that to their face. It's no big deal. But I wish they'd take a little more time to think about changing rules versus making a reaction right away because one driver's not happy about it."
Back to top Go down
https://fordfans.forumotion.com
Merri

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Who really came up with the no bumping rule?   Who really came up with the no bumping rule? EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 8:05 pm

Jeff Gordon is the only driver who addressed the issue with NASCAR who actually admitted it...but there were other drivers.
Back to top Go down
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Who really came up with the no bumping rule?   Who really came up with the no bumping rule? EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 12:52 am

^^Thats what I thought. I remember Tony making a big deal over it.
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Who really came up with the no bumping rule?   Who really came up with the no bumping rule? EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 7:27 am

Funny, When Tony complained, nothing was done, but when Jeffie complained (Hendrick Driver) IMMEDIATE ACTION. (Poor Tony, you were ignored but than you weren't working w/Hendrick)
Back to top Go down
roosterrage

roosterrage

Number of posts : 481

PostSubject: Re: Who really came up with the no bumping rule?   Who really came up with the no bumping rule? EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 11:15 pm

They really do need to police it better. I mean you have guys doing it very early in the race through the corners!
Back to top Go down
RacingDude

RacingDude

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Who really came up with the no bumping rule?   Who really came up with the no bumping rule? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 1:30 am

No bumping is not going to make things any better at the plate tracks. It makes the racing a lot worse, and puts the drivers in a box.
Back to top Go down
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

PostSubject: Re: Who really came up with the no bumping rule?   Who really came up with the no bumping rule? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 2:13 am

Yatesracing wrote:
Funny, When Tony complained, nothing was done, but when Jeffie complained (Hendrick Driver) IMMEDIATE ACTION. (Poor Tony, you were ignored but than you weren't working w/Hendrick)

Tony is ignored because he whines alot. Jeff on the other hand is not a whinner ~JMO Laughing
But I agree it doesn't hurt to work for HMS Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

Number of posts : 953

PostSubject: Re: Who really came up with the no bumping rule?   Who really came up with the no bumping rule? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 8:33 am

DeeDee wrote:
Yatesracing wrote:

Tony is ignored because he whines alot. Jeff on the other hand is not a whinner ~JMO Laughing
Good morning DeeDee, I don't like the Hendrick Group and any chance I have to throw out a dig I take it LOL
Back to top Go down
racinfan

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Who really came up with the no bumping rule?   Who really came up with the no bumping rule? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 10:50 am

Doesn't matter, we still get the big one. Jeff is probably just worried about getting plowed into the fence because of his "old" age.
Back to top Go down
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

PostSubject: Re: Who really came up with the no bumping rule?   Who really came up with the no bumping rule? EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 12:44 am

Yatesracing wrote:
DeeDee wrote:
Yatesracing wrote:

Good morning DeeDee, I don't like the Hendrick Group and any chance I have to throw out a dig I take it LOL

Join the club Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who really came up with the no bumping rule?   Who really came up with the no bumping rule? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who really came up with the no bumping rule?
Page 1 of 1