Ford Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lots Of Overachievers In 2009

Go down 
+3
TeamBlueOval
racinfan
DeeDee
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 2:17 am

Quote :

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-lots-of-overachievers-in-2009/

There were a lot of people not named Hendrick or Johnson who overachieved in NASCAR in 2009. Not all of them made the headlines regularly, but one way or another, they all made contributions to their teams or to the sport.

Here are five of NASCAR’s overachievers for 2009:

1. CHIP GANASSI — When the 2009 season began, many pundits wondered if Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates, the hastily arranged shotgun marriage between team owners Chip Ganassi and Teresa Earnhardt, would even make it to the track every week, let alone run competitively. The two teams ran different brands are cars, were based in different cities, had different engine programs, vastly different corporate cultures, etc., etc.

And yet, EGR’s Juan Pablo Montoya was one of the few drivers in the Chase for the Sprint Cup who truly pressed the Hendrick gang. EGR didn’t win the 2009 championship, but no team came further from the start of the season to the end. And I suppose Teresa Earnhardt deserves honorable mention for apparently staying out of Ganassi’s way.

“We work every day at this business and try to get the most out of what we have whether it's our drivers or our crew chiefs or engineers or people in the shop, we try to get the most out of everybody,” said Ganassi. “I mean our team is of the size that we need to get the most out of everybody on a regular basis to sustain ourselves especially in the last couple of years.”

2. BOBBY HUTCHENS — At Stewart-Haas Racing, driver/co-owner Tony Stewart naturally is the guy who gets the lion’s share of the media attention. But Competition Director Bobby Hutchens, who joined the team after two decades at Richard Childress Racing, was one of the keys behind building a championship-caliber organization almost overnight.

“There are parallels between the two companies,” said Hutchens, who when he started at RCR was one of the sport’s first college-educated engineers. “Back in those days, everyone was a racer. They did it because they loved racing and loved winning. We have people here at Stewart-Haas who are racers. We’ve assembled a group that eats, sleeps and breathes racing day in and day out. I think a lot of people have gotten away from that recently and it has become more of a job and more about making a buck than it was about bringing the trophy home. Our group at Stewart-Haas is similar to those RCR teams – a group of people who love racing and want to succeed.”

3. KEVIN HARVICK — OK, Harvick and the rest of his Richard Childress Racing squad had a subpar year in the Sprint Cup Series. Fair enough. But as co-owner of Kevin Harvick Inc. with his wife DeLana, Harvick had a stellar season. KHI established itself as the dominant team in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and finished fourth in owner points in the NASCAR Nationwide Series. That kind of success doesn’t happen by accident.

Ron Hornaday Jr. won a record fourth Truck Series championship driving for KHI, one of the biggest moments of 2009. “There's a lot of personal relationship between Ron and myself and it's very gratifying to see him be able to
win,” Harvick said. “That means as much to me as winning the races or winning the championships is to see Ron happy and winning races and winning the championship. You know, the personal relationship is more important than, you know, anything else.”

4. KASEY KAHNE — From the start of 2009 and continuing to this very day, few teams have existed in such a state of total chaos as Richard Petty Motorsports, which still has not concluded its long-pending “merger” with Yates Racing. And if that deal does go through, it will be the team’s fourth different major organizational structure since mid-2007.

And yet, Kahne actually won two races and made the Chase in 2009, a fairly remarkable performance if you think about it. That said, Kahne has made it fairly clear that 2010 likely will be his last with the team.

“It’s up to them what happens,” Kahne said of his RPM team. “They do their thing and I’ll do mine. All I can do is make myself better at driving race cars and communicating with (crew chief) Kenny Francis. If I do that, I’ll be happy next season.”

5. MARCOS AMBROSE — Competing in his first full year of Sprint Cup racing with a single-car start-up team, the two-time Australian V-8 Supercar champion finished 18th in points. His JTG-Daugherty Racing team was also one of the few organizations in the sport to attract new sponsorship money, which is a plus.

“We’ve got sponsors locked in for 2010 and will continue to grow, continue to improve on the race track with results and I’m getting more confident,” said Ambrose. “I feel like we can really contend next year for race wins. I feel like I’m ready to make a challenge to try to make the top-12 in points. We have a long journey ahead of us, but I feel like we’re moving forward at a rapid rate in the Cup Series and we’re excited to be doing it.”

WTG Marcos!!!! I'm so proud of them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
racinfan

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:30 pm

Kasey and Marcos definitely were better than expected, especially Marcos. What a Face
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:35 pm

My list of overachievers this year:

(1) Juan Pablo Montoya - Where did he come from? They turned up the wick when it counted and had some great races during and before the Chase.

(2) Michael Waltrip Racing - Sure, MW was far from competitive, but Reutimann and Ambrose were spectacular. Reutimann won one of the biggest races of the year in the Coke 600 and Ambrose surpassed all expectations. Both were impressive, and should be even better next year with Truex as a teammate.

(3) Mike Bliss - Okay, he's not a Cup driver, but still. The guy drove 5 cars this year and still ended up 5th in points. That's pretty good!

(4) Brad Keselowski - I can't stand him, but he did win a race driving the 09 car. That's quite a feat - even if he did end up wrecking Carl to do it!

(5) Copart - During the tough economy, they've jumped into the sport with both feet sponsoring Nationwide and Truck entries for Kevin Harvick Inc., as well as some truck races for Todd Bodine.

Underacheivers:

(1) David Ragan
(2) Roush Fenway Racing
(3) Kevin Harvick
(4) Richard Childress Racing
(5) Everyone besides Hendrick Motorsports
Back to top Go down
https://fordfans.forumotion.com
Yatesracing

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 11:21 pm

TeamBlueOval wrote:

(1) Juan Pablo Montoya - Where did he come from? They turned up the wick when it counted and had some great races during and before the Chase.

(2) Michael Waltrip Racing - Sure, MW was far from competitive, but Reutimann and Ambrose were spectacular. Reutimann won one of the biggest races of the year in the Coke 600 and Ambrose surpassed all expectations. Both were impressive, and should be even better next year with Truex as a teammate.

(3) Mike Bliss - Okay, he's not a Cup driver, but still. The guy drove 5 cars this year and still ended up 5th in points. That's pretty good!

(4) Brad Keselowski - I can't stand him, but he did win a race driving the 09 car. That's quite a feat - even if he did end up wrecking Carl to do it!

(5) Copart - During the tough economy, they've jumped into the sport with both feet sponsoring Nationwide and Truck entries for Kevin Harvick Inc., as well as some truck races for Todd Bodine.

Underacheivers:

(1) David Ragan
(2) Roush Fenway Racing
(3) Kevin Harvick

Hey you forgot Jr. He does drive for Hendricks , right LOL
Back to top Go down
RacingDude

RacingDude

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 1:07 am

TeamBlueOval wrote:

Underacheivers:

(1) David Ragan
(2) Roush Fenway Racing
(3) Kevin Harvick

I agree with all of this, and yes Yatesracing, we need to add Jr to the list as well. Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 Icon_lol 25th in points with a Hendrick car by someone of his talent is unacceptable.
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Yes, I did forget JR.... let's make him #1 and move everyone else down one!
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 1:36 pm

TeamBlueOval wrote:
Yes, I did forget JR.... let's make him #1 and move everyone else down one!
Good Idea Andrew
Back to top Go down
Dog

Number of posts : 808

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 7:06 pm

In comparison to what everyone expected- shouldn't the entire SHR organization as a whole be on the list of overachievers?

And underachievers should be Ford as a whole
Back to top Go down
http://www.faithfreaks.com/Dog
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 7:16 pm

Dog wrote:
In comparison to what everyone expected- shouldn't the entire SHR organization as a whole be on the list of overachievers?

Sorry Dog I would need a heckava lot more of having a YEAR UNDER PAR BEFORE I WOULD DOG OUT MY FORDS.
BTW FORD ARE WINNING AWARDS ALL OVER THE USA AUTO INDUSTRY AND YOU THINK I WOULD CALL THEM AN UNDERANYTHING-----I DON'T THINK SO.
Back to top Go down
Dog

Number of posts : 808

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Yatesracing wrote:
Dog wrote:

Sorry Dog I would need a heckava lot more of having a YEAR UNDER PAR BEFORE I WOULD DOG OUT MY FORDS.
BTW FORD ARE WINNING AWARDS ALL OVER THE USA AUTO INDUSTRY AND YOU THINK I WOULD CALL THEM AN UNDERANYTHING-----I DON'T THINK SO.

I guess I shouldn't say as a whole, but you have to admit Ford has underachieved this year.

I'm doing this from my wii- boy does this take a long time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.faithfreaks.com/Dog
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 10:26 am

Stewart Haas Racing = Hendrick Motorsports as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
roosterrage

roosterrage

Number of posts : 481

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 9:14 pm

Overachievers

1. Juan Pablo Montoya
2. Kurt Busch
3. Stewart Haas Racing
4. Brian Vickers
5. David Reuitmann
6. Marcos Ambrose

Underachievers

1. Dale Jr.
2. Richard Childress Racing
3. Martin Truex Jr.
4. David Ragan
5. Yates Racing
6. All Start & Park
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lots Of Overachievers In 2009   Lots Of Overachievers In 2009 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lots Of Overachievers In 2009
Page 1 of 1