Ford Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

FR9 engine news and discussion

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2009-01-14

FR9 engine news and discussion Empty
PostSubject: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 1:50 pm

Not much new info, but this is from FOX Sports:

Quote :
Bill Elliott, who qualified 15th, was the top Ford in time trials for Sunday's LifeLock 400.

So what about the three Roush Fenway Racing drivers hoping to lock into the Chase?

Matt Kenseth, who qualified 16th, said his car was set up in race trim. Still, he admits, "We were just really slow."

Translation: The new FR9 engine can't come quick enough.

How does July sound?

Ford has tested the FR9 but chief engine builder and team owner Doug Yates doesn't expect the engine to be ready before late summer. Still, some sources contend the engine could be ready by next month.

"The development is coming along really good," Yates said. "It's going to be a real good piece for us. It just takes time to get the parts and pieces. We're just getting blocks and heads. We're going as fast as we can."

So who will get the engine first? That's up for debate. But don't expect Carl Edwards to be a test driver under race conditions.

"I have really high hopes for it so hopefully that will be good," said Edwards, who qualified 29th."I told them I don't want it right off the bat. We'll see who's not in the Chase and maybe start testing it that way."

Edwards is spot on that it's too risky to test the new engine in a car with Chase implications. Edwards is currently sixth in the points standings, 281 markers behind leader Tony Stewart. But he and his RFR teammates Greg Biffle and Matt Kenseth, who are seventh and eighth in the point standings, respectively, are separated by just 17 points. Only 67 points separate the Roush trio from 13th-place Mark Martin.

On the opposite side of the Ford spectrum, David Ragan and Paul Menard are 31st and 33rd in the point standings, respectively. However, with the shrinking car counts top 35 status does not appear to be an issue.

Last edited by TeamBlueOval on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://fordfans.forumotion.com
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 5:56 pm

Quote :
New Ford engine? The debut of the new Ford engine could be coming soon. The big question: Who will get it first? When the engine was introduced at the Sprint Cup media tour in January, top Ford officials speculated that the #21-Wood Brothers, running a 12-race schedule, would get it first. The theory was to let them experiment with it before those competing for spots in the Chase used it. With Roush Fenway Racing's #6-David Ragan and #26-Jamie McMurray out of Chase contention, they have become candidates. So have all three drivers from Yates Racing who aren't competing for a playoff spot. "I told them I don't want it right off the bat," Roush's #99-Carl Edwards recently said. "We'll see who's not in the Chase and maybe start testing it that way." Doug Yates, who helped build the FR9, says the engine won't be ready until August. That could come sooner if Roush believes it could help Edwards, #17-Matt Kenseth and #16-Greg Biffle in the Chase.(ESPN Insider)(6-20-2009)
Back to top Go down
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Quote :
New Ford engine should be ready by August...but: Ford team owner/engine-builder Doug Yates expects Ford’s new FR9 engine to be ready by August, just in time for the season-ending, 10-race Chase for the Championship playoff. Yates, David Simon and Mose Nowland have been working on it all year, and Yates sees light at the end of the tunnel. Once it’s ready, though, which members of Team Ford Racing will get it? It likely won’t go to Roush Fenway stars #99-Carl Edwards (fifth in points), #16-Greg Biffle (eighth) and #17-Matt Kenseth (10th) because they’ll almost certainly make the 12-driver championship playoff. With so much on the line, there’s some reluctance to run an engine that hasn’t been tested in competition.
Edwards has already said he’d rather wait. “I told them I don’t want it right off the bat,” he said recently. “We’ll see who’s not in the Chase and maybe start testing it that way.” Kenseth takes a “whatever” approach. “I’m under the understanding we probably won’t have it full-time this year,” he said. “I’m not sure, but it doesn’t matter to me. I have a ton of confidence in Doug Yates and the engine guys, and whatever they think is best, I’m good with that.”
The Wood Brothers with #21-Bill Elliott are running a limited schedule, so they might get it first. (Logic dictates that an engine-related DNF for Elliott won’t be as costly as one for a Chase-eligible team). #98-Paul Menard and #96-Bobby Labonte of Yates Racing will focus on making the Chase, as will Roush Fenway drivers #6-David Ragan and #26-Jamie McMurray [vert slim chances for any of those four to make the Chase]. The new piece is the first purpose-built NASCAR engine to come from Ford Motor Company. The three key differences between FR9 and the current engine: the cooling system has been improved to allow teams to use more tape on the grille, thus improving downforce; the valve train has been improved; and the production and assembly of FR9 will be easier than the current model.(Ford Racing)(6-27-2009)
Back to top Go down
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 12:44 am

It makes sense to have the Woods test the engine first.
Back to top Go down
RacingDude

RacingDude

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 1:44 pm

And Yates, since they are not in position to make the Chase.
Back to top Go down
DeeDee
Admin
DeeDee

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 12:10 am

True
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 1:33 pm

FR9 ON TRACK AT ATLANTA

Quote :
Tires won't be the only thing tested at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Tuesday and Wednesday. Yes, Goodyear has reserved AMS for tire test to prepare for the Pep Boys Auto 500, but Jamie McMurray is expected to put track laps on the new Ford engine.

Joining McMurray at the tire test is Tony Stewart, Kurt Busch and Denny Hamlin.

LINK

This is a little bit of an old article (from July 10th), so I guess the FR9 was on track last week. That's great! Can't wait to see it in a race!
Back to top Go down
RacingDude

RacingDude

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 5:09 pm

I can't wait until all of the Roush cars have that new engine. They need it!
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 2:13 am

Testing at Road Atlanta: Hearing that drivers testing at Road Atlanta today include #99-Carl Edwards, #6-David Ragan, #16-Colin Braun (subbing for Greb Biffle), #42-Juan Pablo Montoya, #47-Marcos Ambrose, #2-Kurt Busch, #77-Sam Hornish Jr., #12-David Stremme, #13-Max Papis and Boris Said (in John Wes Townley's #09 Nationwide Series Ford which he will run at Watkins Glen).(7-21-2009)
AND: told #7-Robby Gordon was also at the track

DON'T SEE MCMURRY ON THE LIST???????????
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 4:06 pm

McMurray was at the Atlanta Motor Speedway (NOT Road Atlanta) testing TIRES for Goodyear. Wink
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 4:34 pm

TeamBlueOval wrote:
McMurray was at the Atlanta Motor Speedway (NOT Road Atlanta) testing TIRES for Goodyear. Wink
Ohhhhh has there been any comments from McMurry on how the test went.
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Jamie hasn't spoken to the media since that test. (Probably because of the announcement that he's out at Roush after this season.)
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 4:43 pm

TeamBlueOval wrote:
Jamie hasn't spoken to the media since that test. (Probably because of the announcement that he's out at Roush after this season.)
That could very well be, but it should have come from Doug or Roush. Don't you think? BTW Andrew, just your opinion, What race do you think they might actual try the NEW ENGINE out?
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 4:45 pm

Just an absolute guess on my part, but the Labor Day race at Atlanta might be a good place to try the new engine... (since they've already had it on track there)...

Maybe they could get it in the 6, 26, and both Yates cars.
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 4:47 pm

TeamBlueOval wrote:
Just an absolute guess on my part, but the Labor Day race at Atlanta might be a good place to try the new engine... (since they've already had it on track there)...

Maybe they could get it in the 6, 26, and both Yates cars.
Gee never thought of that. I was thinking of Mich. I like your idea better.
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Really, not Bill Elliot
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Is the 21 racing at Atlanta? If they are, then they should get it as well. They've been running better than the Yates cars, 6, and 26 lately!
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 4:52 pm

TeamBlueOval wrote:
Is the 21 racing at Atlanta? If they are, then they should get it as well. They've been running better than the Yates cars, 6, and 26 lately!
well we will just have to wait and see. I didn't think they would use more than 2 cars in the first try, but again I hope your right.
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Video about the FR9...

Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Andrew can show the link to this video
Back to top Go down
roosterrage

roosterrage

Number of posts : 481

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks Andrew, I have never seen such "Good Time Charlies" like the ones they have on TFR.
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Question

Will the video not play as posted?
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Yatesracing wrote:
Thanks Andrew, I have never seen such "Good Time Charlies" like the ones they have on TFR.
NOT WHERE I WANTED TO SHOW IT BUT IT DOES NOW WITH THE LINK
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 10:09 pm

ANDREW WHY IS YOUR MUSTANG COMMETS lOCK AND BLOCK i CAN'T GET IN.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FR9 engine news and discussion   FR9 engine news and discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

FR9 engine news and discussion
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next