Ford Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
eehwkram

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-03-17

SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend Empty
PostSubject: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 1:25 am

Good writup on AJ Allmendinger In SI

I am thinking Kahne is a top 10 type, and Allmendinger is a top 15 type of finisher in the points this year.

The other two, mixing a top 10-20 in the mix here and there with other so-so finishes might have to do.
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 1:44 am

eehwkram wrote:

I am thinking Kahne is a top 10 type, and Allmendinger is a top 15 type of finisher in the points this year.

The other two, mixing a top 10-20 in the mix here and there with other so-so finishes might have to do.
.I'm putting AJ very close to 12th. Travis top 15 David 22 to 25th., David is fast but can't seem to make 500 mile race. Sadler ?????????? He is in a FORD and he did do well when he was in a FORD. (couple of wins-remember)Kahne top 5 to Champ (if carl has a bad year) I'm a little puzzled this season because I think the Roush drivers will be HOT this year. Would love to see Kahne win Cup so he will remain in a FORD.I just can't seem to pick a favorite. Just hoping the winner of the cup is driving a FORD
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:16 pm

This is getting away from the intended topic a little, so I apologize up front, but thinking it possible for Travis and Gilliland to even come close to the top-20 is points is too much. I think it would be considered a successful year for them if they have one driver (Kvapil, Gilliland, or Conway) finish in the top-30 in points.

As for Allmendinger, I think he can contend for the Chase. I think he'll be a 12th-15th place guy this year, and if all goes well, he could make the Chase.

Kahne, I'd say, is a lock for the Chase. Where he ends up after that, who knows...
Back to top Go down
https://fordfans.forumotion.com
eehwkram

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Yatesracing wrote:
eehwkram wrote:

.I'm putting AJ very close to 12th. Travis top 15 David 22 to 25th., David is fast but can't seem to make 500 mile race. Sadler ?????????? He is in a FORD and he did do well when he was in a FORD. (couple of wins-remember)Kahne top 5 to Champ (if carl has a bad year) I'm a little puzzled this season because I think the Roush drivers will be HOT this year. Would love to see Kahne win Cup so he will remain in a FORD.I just can't seem to pick a favorite. Just hoping the winner of the cup is driving a FORD

I am talking about week in and week out. I have a feeling that if you are setting a goal of Kvapil being in the top 15 week in and week out, you are going to be disappointed more than you'll be happy. Gilliland 22-25 week in and week out? He wasn't able to accomplish that in Gibbs equipment. I wouldn't hold my breath thinking he can do it for Front Row..

My (hopefully realistic) expectations are:

Kahne - Top 10-15 week in and week out with quite a few top 10 finishes mixed in with 3-4 wins.
Allmendinger - Top 15-20 week in in and week out with 10 or so top 10 finishes mixed in with 1 win.
Sadler - Top 20-25 week in and week out with 3-4 top 10 finishes mixed in.
Mennard - Top 25 week in and week out with 2-3 top 10 finishes mixed in.
Back to top Go down
RacingDude

RacingDude

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 1:56 am

I won't judge Gilliland based on his Gibbs races, because he only raced a couple of times for them. He's had a few other shots and didn't make the most out of them either. But I will say yes, it should be considered an accomplishment if he gets a top-25 finish.

I don't expect Allmendinger to contend for the Chase this season, but more so expecting a top-20 points finish, and (if he is still driving for RPM or goes to a better team) maybe AJ can shoot for the Chase in 2011.

Here's how I think it'll go:

Kahne: Wins a race, finishes top-15 in points if he misses the Chase.
Allmendinger: Posts a few top-5's and some more top-10's, finishes top-20 in points.
Sadler: I don't expect much, maybe a top-10 here and there but overall he will probably end up at least in the top-30 in points come season's end.
Menard: Will be lucky if he gets one top-10 finish. Not a slam at Menard, but I'll imagine he'll be getting the short end of the stick.
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: AJ on Sirius   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 5:22 pm

I thought it was an hilarious interview and I loved it.
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Yatesracing wrote:
I thought it was an hilarious interview and I loved it.
BTW Iliked MERNARDS INTERVIEW ALSO
Back to top Go down
Dog

Number of posts : 808

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 1:31 am

TeamBlueOval wrote:
This is getting away from the intended topic a little, so I apologize up front, but thinking it possible for Travis and Gilliland to even come close to the top-20 is points is too much. I think it would be considered a successful year for them if they have one driver (Kvapil, Gilliland, or Conway) finish in the top-30 in points.

As for Allmendinger, I think he can contend for the Chase. I think he'll be a 12th-15th place guy this year, and if all goes well, he could make the Chase.

Kahne, I'd say, is a lock for the Chase. Where he ends up after that, who knows...

how is he a lock? he is so up and down..... as some predicition said he's that song hot and cold......
Back to top Go down
http://www.faithfreaks.com/Dog
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 7:17 am

Dog wrote:
TeamBlueOval wrote:

how is he a lock? he is so up and down..... as some predicition said he's that song hot and cold......
Sorry Dog but IMO Kvapil and David will do a lot better than 30th. Conway I really know nothing about but I'm hoping for a surprise. A.J. and Kahne top 12
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 11:49 am

Yatesracing, you are hoping for way too much out of this under-financed team. 25th-30th for ONE of their cars would be a success. Keeping all 3 in the top-35 would essentially be a miracle.

And, Kahne, I think is a lock for the Chase. He's got reliable engines now, and I think they'll enter the Chase around 5th-8th in points.
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 12:05 pm

TeamBlueOval wrote:
Yatesracing, you are hoping for way too much out of this under-financed team. 25th-30th for ONE of their cars would be a success. Keeping all 3 in the top-35 would essentially be a miracle.

And, Kahne, I think is a lock for the Chase. He's got reliable engines now, and I think they'll enter the Chase around 5th-8th in points.
Maybe so but I put A.J right up there. He reminds me a little of the early Kurt Busch. Travis will do ok. David will be missing a few races so 30th will be A LONG SHOT. HOPE YOUR RIGHT.. David will be missing 3 or 4 OF THE RACES. May not even make top 35th.( talking about Driver not Owner points)
Back to top Go down
RacingDude

RacingDude

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 11:44 pm

I'm kind of curious Yatesracing, how do you think AJ is like a younger Kurt Busch? I am not asking you this to call you out or anything, I'm honestly curious.
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:12 am

RacingDude wrote:
I'm kind of curious Yatesracing, how do you think AJ is like a younger Kurt Busch? I am not asking you this to call you out or anything, I'm honestly curious.
Can't give ypu an answer. There is just something about him. I will say one thing HE WILL BE MORE AGGRESSIVE THAN THE OTHER DRIVERS ON RPM JMO
Back to top Go down
RacingDude

RacingDude

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 5:54 pm

AJ's definitely got the hunger to do well, and is a good driver so I wouldn't be surprised if he were a bit more aggressive to reach the goal of a better points finish.
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 6:53 pm

RacingDude wrote:
AJ's definitely got the hunger to do well, and is a good driver so I wouldn't be surprised if he were a bit more aggressive to reach the goal of a better points finish.
Anyone know how AJ did in the Rolex 24 oh and Colin Braun. I was out most of the day (in and out sorta)
Back to top Go down
TeamBlueOval
Admin
TeamBlueOval

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:11 pm

AJ blew up or something... I had to leave right after I saw his car in flames. He was running 3rd at the time, I believe.

Not sure about Colin Braun... wasn't sure which car he was in.
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:35 pm

TeamBlueOval wrote:
AJ blew up or something... I had to leave right after I saw his car in flames. He was running 3rd at the time, I believe.

Not sure about Colin Braun... wasn't sure which car he was in.
Colin Braun came in fourth (I think) but the #75 Krohn Racing entry with Colin Braun, 20 laps down
Back to top Go down
Yatesracing

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 7:31 am

Maybe this is why I predict AJ to do well this year--This driver SPUNK--------------AJ'S COMMENTS AFTER THE ROLEX 24------------------------------------

addition to his regular duties, Allmendinger also picked up the slack when a fast-striking illness sidelined Valiante for nearly a third of the race and, later, the same struck Frisselle. Perhaps it was too much to ask of Allmendinger, who hours later would have what at first appeared to be a minor collision just as Sunday’s sun rose over Daytona International Speedway’s 3.56-mile road course.

“I’m not sure whether AJ [Allmendinger] bumped the [No.] 22 [Bullet Racing Porsche GT] or the 22 bumped AJ, but it set off a string of troubles from that point,” team owner Mike Shank said.

Starting with a cut tire, the team’s race would end seven-hours later—while in third-place and only two-laps out of first—with an engine-compartment oil fire, the culmination of a process which started earlier when plastic-bag remains lodged in the car’s radiator-air inlet.

Soon, power-sapping overheated engine coolant combined with a gas-saving ECU setting burned through a piston ring, which, with each crankshaft turn, then pumped air into the crankcase instead of being entirely exhausted through the valves.

Something had to give in the soon-pressurized crankcase and oil was forced from the engine—probably somewhere between a valve cover gasket and the cylinder heads.

With red-hot manifolds beneath, Allmendinger was aflame and seeking the aid of DIS fire marshals.

Refusing to exit his car, Allmendinger was pulled to the DIS garages where he emerged with tears welling in his eyes.

“AJ’s been with me on this deal for the fifth year and I don’t even know what to say to him,” Shank later said.

“Mike and I are joined at the hip,” Allmendinger said in response. “I intend to keep coming back with him until we win this deal.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend   SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend Empty

Back to top Go down

SI: Once an afterthought, Allmendinger set to contend
Page 1 of 1